I get so excited every fall when delicata squash shows up at the Harmons grocery store. From what I understand, while you can grow delicata squash in Utah, it doesn’t grow as well here as it does in warmer climates. Which means it’s only ever at the grocery store for a short amount of time. Which ALSO means that I stock up in a big way and use it for anything I can. Like this roasted fall vegetable grain bowl.
Grain bowls are my JAM. They’re easily my favorite meal prep option and, honestly, that goes double when it’s squash season. Fall vegetables just seem to lend themselves even more to the whole grain bowl concept. It’s a match made in heaven, really.
Roasted Fall Vegetable Grain Bowl Recipe Notes
- While I am partial to delicata squash while it’s in season, these could easily be made using any squash you like. Squash you don’t have to peel are my preference because I’m lazy.
- These grain bowls are a great way to use up any leftover veggies you may have on hand. There are very few vegetables that aren’t delicious when roasted, so feel free to mix it up.
- If you make these roasted fall vegetable grain bowls for meal prep (and you should!), I suggest you prep each element separately and then assemble them the night before or morning of the day you plan to eat it.
- These are perfectly good thrown in the microwave to reheat but if you have the ability and time to use the stovetop, I highly recommend it. Heat a bit of oil in a saute pan, then add the roasted veggies and shredded chicken. Stir frequently for a few minutes until beginning to crisp up nicely, then add the quinoa and keep stirring until it’s all heated through. Add it to your bowl and then top as usual.
- Delicata squash, and winter squash in general, is incredibly nutrient-dense with loads of vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
- To keep this grain bowl vegetarian, you could easily swap in marinated chickpeas for the shredded chicken. Simply mix the drained chickpeas with a few tablespoons of the dressing, smashing slightly, and you’re good to go!
- You can use any dressing you like, though I’m partial to a balsamic vinaigrette.
Roasted Fall Vegetable Grain Bowl
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1-2 delicata squash, depending on size
- 1 head of broccoli
- 10-12 brown mushrooms
- 1-2 tablespoons avocado oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup red quinoa
- Water or stock for quinoa (amount depends on method)
- 1/2 cup dressing of choice
- Chopped herbs, toasted nuts, shredded carrots
- Combine chicken, balsamic vinegar, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a slow cooker. Turn on low and cook for 3-4 hours. Once cooked, remove from heat and let cool slightly before shredding.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. While the oven is preheating, prep the vegetables: halve the squash lengthwise, scrape out seeds, and slice into ½” half-moons; cut the broccoli into florets; remove mushroom stems and quarter the tops. Toss vegetables with the avocado oil and spread out on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Roast in a preheated oven for 20-30 minutes, until tender and starting to brown.
- Cook quinoa using your favorite method. I usually go with the rinse+toast method. You could cook it in the Instant Pot, too.
- To serve, top quinoa with shredded chicken and roasted veggies. Add any herbs, toasted nuts, or other toppings you like before drizzling with dressing. To store for meal prep, place shredded chicken, roasted vegetables, and quinoa in separate containers until ready to serve.
Looking for more fall recipe inspiration?
Give these a try!