Um, can anyone tell me where September went? I swear I blinked sometime back in August and suddenly we’re halfway through September now! I love fall but I’m also not quite sure I’m ready to transition out of summer just yet. And one of the summery-est activities I can think of is grilling. So, I’ve been grilling basically anything I can lately to try to soak up all the last golden moments of summer while it’s here. That includes this grilled potato and arugula salad.
I’ve made some version of this grilled potato and arugula salad several times this summer. Honestly, is there a more quintessentially summer dish than a potato salad? It just begs for BBQs and family reunions and potlucks and camping and all the fun social things we used to be able to do before COVID came in to ruin our lives. But even if you don’t have a potluck or family party to attend, this grilled potato and arugula salad is seriously delicious and easy enough to whip up that you won’t mind making it for yourself.
This mayo-free potato salad recipe uses a creamy mustard dressing as its base. Then I rounded it out with sliced red onion, tart capers, and plenty of fresh dill. Flavor-wise, it puts a traditional potato salad to shame in my opinion. You can serve it slightly warm, room temperature, or cold and it’s all equally delicious. It’s also easily customizable. I’ve used different greens and even swapped in blanched green beans and asparagus in place of the lettuce. It’s delicious every single time. Plus, it’s easy to make ahead, too. Just combine the potatoes, dressing, onions, and capers the day before and then toss it with the arugula right before serving.
GRILLED POTATO AND ARUGULA SALAD
- 1 – 1 1/2 pounds baby red potatoes
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon or grainy mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1/4 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper, plus more to taste
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- Small handful fresh dill (about 1/4 cup), chopped
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 2 – 3 cups arugula
- Cut potatoes in half and add to a large pot. Fill with cold water making sure water comes about an inch above potatoes. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil for 5 minutes, until potatoes are beginning to get tender. Drain in a colander and set aside to cool slightly.
- Heat grill to medium-high heat.
- In a small bowl or jar, combine vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, honey, olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper. Whisk or shake to combine. Pour half into a large bowl and add capers, onion, and dill. Set aside.
- Toss cooled potatoes with avocado oil and season with a bit of salt and pepper. Brush hot grill grate with a bit more avocado oil and place the potatoes cut side down on the grill. Grill for 10-15 minutes, until potatoes are nicely browned. Remove from grill as potatoes finish (some might take longer than others).
- Add still-warm potatoes to the bowl with vinaigrette and toss to coat. Allow to cool slightly then add arugula and toss to combine. Add more dressing, as needed. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature.
- Store leftover dressing in the fridge for up to a week.
- You can prep this up to a day in advance by completing all the steps before adding the arugula. Store the potato mixture in the fridge until ready to use. Add in the arugula just before serving. The potatoes lose some of their crunch when made in advance but the flavors meld together even better when it's been allowed to sit for a while so the tradeoff is worth it.
Interested in some more grilled inspiration to enjoy the last days of summer? Check these out!