Peaches and tomatoes top my list of summer produce I most look forward to. Nothing compares to freshly picked, peak season peaches and tomatoes. We plant tomatoes in our garden every year. And Northern Utah is known for its peaches. So I’m usually sitting pretty this time of year. In fact, I tend to get a little too excited and purchase more peaches than I could ever actually know what to do with. So they start making their way into any meal I can manage. As evidenced by this easy peach and tomato relish.
Honey-sweet peaches are a perfect counterpart to the acidity of the fresh tomatoes. Each of the flavors complement one another perfectly without overwhelming the recipe. I added this peach and tomato relish to a salad with seared blackened salmon and avocado but it’s also incredible on chicken tacos. Or just eaten straight with some tortilla chips. I just love versatile recipes.
What I Love About This Recipe
Tomatoes are super high in lycopene, an antioxidant that fights free radicals that can damage your cells and immune system. Foods high in lycopene have been linked to some impressive health benefits, such as decreased risk of certain cancers, lower levels of LDL cholesterol, and skin protection.
Peaches are good for digestion thanks to their soluble and insoluble fiber content. Plus, peaches have compounds that help your skin retain moisture. And they’re full of polyphenols, a category of antioxidants that has been shown to inhibit cancer.
Taste-wise, cilantro might be my favorite herb. I load it up in anything I can. Most of the health studies have been done with coriander (cilantro’s seed), which has been linked to cancer prevention, improved digestion, lower heart disease risk factors, and fighting inflammation.
It’s a super simple recipe that really elevates any dish you add it to. The only skill required is dicing and you don’t even have to do that well for this to be delicious. Add it to salads, tacos, rice bowls, grilled meats, or eat it as an appetizer or snack with tortilla chips!
Easy Peach and Tomato Relish
- 1 firm but ripe peach
- 2 roma tomatoes, or 1 medium tomato
- 1/2 – 1 cup cilantro, lightly packed
- 1/2 – 1 jalapeno, ribs and seeds removed
- 1/2 medium red onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Halve peach and remove pit. Halve tomatoes and remove most of the seeds and juices inside. Dice the peaches, tomatoes, and red onions to whatever size dice you like. Keep things chunkier for using as a relish or dice them up more finely if you want to eat this with chips. Add peaches, tomatoes, and onion to a medium bowl.
- Roughly chop the cilantro and add it to the bowl. Then mince the jalapeno and garlic and add them to the bowl.
- Squeeze lime juice over the bowl and add salt. Mix to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- This is definitely best fresh but will store in the fridge for a day or two. If you want to make it in advance, prep all the ingredients and store them separately. Mix them all together when you’re ready to serve.